gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:35:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DirecTV DSL & Linux

Nit, nit, nit.

Sounds like people who have it are happy with DirecTV DSL. It sounds
like a reasonable compromise for someone who'd be content with cable
if it weren't for the bad policies cable ISPs hold. (I wouldn't be
content with cable, even outside of those policies, so I probably
wouldn't like DirecTV DSL. Ymmv.)

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 08:38:32AM -0500, mike.h wrote:
> I use DirecTV DSL. Reason: cheapest static IP addr available at the time,
> ($49./mo.)

Last I checked, DCANet gave you five static IPs at that rate. Maybe
it's changed, maybe I'm misremembering.

>  1. Contract says "Not for business use", but what they really mean is "we
> watch your bandwith usage"... But then, it's aDSL, so if you're a business,
> or expect to serve 100 connections/second it's too slow anyway...

But aren't you paying for a specific bandwidth utilization? I pay
for 608/128 from Speakeasy. If I'm not getting my full bandwidth and
it's not the remote sites fault, I have cause to call and complain.
(Note that I haven't had to call and complain. :^>)

Are you saying that if you keep your connection at full utilization
for a long period of time DirecTV doesn't like it, or are you saying
that they aren't doing bandwidth shaping properly to limit you, so
it's *possible* to take advantage of them but they get angry when
you do?

>  2. You can run web, mail, and other servers and they'll even add a zone for
> your domain name on their nameservers, but you don't get reverse DNS
> lookups.

Speakeasy happily does reverse DNS lookups. Cf, the reverse DNS on
the IP address from which I IRC (66.92.234.98).

>  3. Occasionally, their connection goes down. This isn't too often, usually
> only about once every 6 months, but did occurr two days in a row once.
> Nearly always, simply rebooting the bridge ("modem") will get your
> connection back.

Eww. Both telco outtages I've had with Speakeasy in two and a half
years have been Verizon's fault. (There've been a few others that
were PECO's fault, but that's because I don't have my DSL modem on
battery backup like the rest of my networking hardware.)

> On the positive side, tech support has been good (even Linux savy!) the few
> times that I had to use them.

That's good to know (and seems to be the norm for most DSL
providers; even the regional and national ones feel more like local
dialin providers to me, which is very nice).

> But for home-based experimentation and learning, DirecTV's price was the
> deal maker for me.

I've got no argument with that.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter