gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:20:11 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DirecTV DSL & Linux

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 08:45:10AM -0500, Edward M. Corrado wrote:
> what I read they seem pretty good. They claim not to block any ports or
> services, don't use PPPoE, and will provide 6 useable IP addresses
> (I assume one is from the DSL device, and I can connect 5 other
> devices).

I pulled the 5 number from the depths of memory, so it's likely to
be off. A DSL modem doesn't need an IP address (it doesn't decrement
TTL and it's transfering between Ethernet media, not doing any sort
of real routing). It seems more likely that they really mean you
get to use 6 addresses, since this would mean that they are allocating
a 29-bit-masked network (that is, 3 bits of freedom within a possible
32 bits, which means 8 possible addresses), and you need one IP
address each for the default route and the network broadcast address.

> They do provide the ADSL (Residential) service through Verizon,
> so I might be able to get it.

Right, and this is your hang up with Speakeasy. They do use Verizon
lines (everyone around here does), but only provide service to those
within reach of a Verizon CO that has a Covad installation (because
they only use Covad as the DSL provider).

> that I don't really like that I saw, however, is that I need to use
> Verizon for my local telephone services (which while I currently do
> since up until a short while ago we didn't have a choice in New Jersey
> until recently and I've been to lazy to do anything about it), I don't
> like to have myself locked in.

That just means they need a Verizon-controlled line running to your
building, because they theorize they'll be able to use the other two
pairs of the four pairs that were theoretically installed at your
location. Chances are good that line won't test out (or will be in
use by your neighbor because Verizon was lazy) and they'll have to
have Verizon install another local loop (at their expense, not
yours, hopefully) anyway.

In any case, the point is just that they need a line to your
building. Whoop. I'm probably going to drop a land line entirely,
keep my DSL, and use a GSM-enabled (and, thus, internationally
useable) cell phone in a few years. I expect to have to explain this
slowly and carefully to a few people along the chain at Speakeasy,
but I don't expect it to actually be a real problem.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net