Edward M. Corrado on Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:52:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DirecTV DSL & Linux

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> Speakeasy[1]

I really like Speakeasy policies and have heard lots of good stuff about
them, but they currently aren't providing my area with DSL.

> and DCANet are,

I haven't looked in DCANet before. I just went to their website, and from
what I read they seem pretty good. They claim not to block any ports or
services, don't use PPPoE, and will provide 6 useable IP addresses
(I assume one is from the DSL device, and I can connect 5 other
devices). They do provide the ADSL (Residential) service through Verizon,
so I might be able to get it. I filled out the online form and got a
message saying that the online availability verification is currently down
(not very good PR, IMO), but they said someone will contact me. One thing
that I don't really like that I saw, however, is that I need to use
Verizon for my local telephone services (which while I currently do
since up until a short while ago we didn't have a choice in New Jersey
until recently and I've been to lazy to do anything about it), I don't
like to have myself locked in.

Ed C.