gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 20 Nov 2002 01:05:25 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DirecTV DSL & Linux

Another concern in the "which ISP do I use" category is VPN policy.

Comcast says "that's a business use, pay us more", and goes so far
as to block the standard Cisco VPN port. (Obviously, easy to get
around. Obviously, you lose your service if they notice. It's
probably less obvious to your place of work that they should foot
the extra business cost--which probably also necessarily includes
a bandwidth upgrade--for you.)

Don't know about Verizon, though Istr similar leanings.

DirecTV ("We're competing with Comcast on their turf!") DSL's name
alone would make me want to take a magnifying glas to their fineprint
looking for micro-type.

Speakeasy[1] and DCANet are, to my knowledge, not this kind of
stupid (and, in my large amount of experience with Speakeasy and
fairly small amount of experience with DCANet, not stupid at all).

Just my two Lincolns.

[1] About which I've had private email thanking me for the
recommendation; too bad you didn't get in touch me ahead of time
so I could give you one of my "enroll with this url and get gr $10
off his next bill" coupons. Hint, hint. ;^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net