William H. Magill on Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:39:55 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DirecTV DSL & Linux

On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 08:45 AM, Edward M. Corrado wrote:
and DCANet are,

I haven't looked in DCANet before. I just went to their website, and from
what I read they seem pretty good. They claim not to block any ports or
services, don't use PPPoE, and will provide 6 useable IP addresses
(I assume one is from the DSL device, and I can connect 5 other
devices). They do provide the ADSL (Residential) service through Verizon,
so I might be able to get it. I filled out the online form and got a
message saying that the online availability verification is currently down
(not very good PR, IMO), but they said someone will contact me. One thing
that I don't really like that I saw, however, is that I need to use
Verizon for my local telephone services (which while I currently do
since up until a short while ago we didn't have a choice in New Jersey
until recently and I've been to lazy to do anything about it), I don't
like to have myself locked in

DCA resells Verizon DSL in most areas since COVAD went belly-up. (This is also true of virtually all other DSL in the area, there are a few pockets of COVAD and RCN service, but neither is expanding.) But this is not a big deal as Verizon DSL is a tariffed service of Verizon the RBOC, which is not the same company as Verizon the ISP. (Yeah, they are at the parent level, but not at the "grunt" level.)

You get a /29 address, but must register the MAC addresses with them. (You get 6 addresses, the modem does not need one, it's a modem, not an IP device.)

With DCA you are a "true peer" on the Internet.
You get a DSL MODEM (not a "cable router") and you can plug whatever you want into that modem -- normally one would plug in an Ethernet HUB or maybe a thing like a LinkSys Cable/DSL 4/8 port router... etc.

I've been using DCAnet with BellAtlantic (now Verizon) DSL since it first became available in Phila some ?5?6? Years ago. After their initial learning curve, problems have been no worse than I've had with any Backbone ISP (Worldcom, uunet, Sprint, etc.) over the years. It works more than it doesn't work. And while occasionally there are CO problems, they are not frequent enough nor long lasting enough to warrant my calling anybody. I've had one outage that lasted more than a couple of minutes in the past 2 years.

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com