Kevin Brosius on Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:43:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DirecTV DSL & Linux

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> > that I don't really like that I saw, however, is that I need to use
> > Verizon for my local telephone services (which while I currently do
> > since up until a short while ago we didn't have a choice in New Jersey
> > until recently and I've been to lazy to do anything about it), I don't
> > like to have myself locked in.
>
> That just means they need a Verizon-controlled line running to your
> building, because they theorize they'll be able to use the other two
> pairs of the four pairs that were theoretically installed at your
> location. Chances are good that line won't test out (or will be in
> use by your neighbor because Verizon was lazy) and they'll have to
> have Verizon install another local loop (at their expense, not
> yours, hopefully) anyway.
>
> In any case, the point is just that they need a line to your
> building. Whoop. I'm probably going to drop a land line entirely,
> keep my DSL, and use a GSM-enabled (and, thus, internationally
> useable) cell phone in a few years. I expect to have to explain this
> slowly and carefully to a few people along the chain at Speakeasy,
> but I don't expect it to actually be a real problem.

Ah, that's something I left out about DirecTV DSL.  They expect you to
install on a live line, rather than a dry pair.  Their account tracking
is tied to the phone number on the line you install it on.  They send
you the DSL splitters you will need to install on regular phones that
use the same line.

They use Verizon.  In this area, the lines are ~680-800k/128k speed (I'm
using the Lansdale CO.)  In some areas of the country the default
circuit is a 1.5M/380k and that's what you get.  They don't, to my
knowledge, offer other speed grades.  http://www.dslreports.com is handy
for looking at overall opinions on them vs. some local users
experiences.

--
Kevin Brosius