Stephen Gran on Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:48:15 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Recommendations on how to partition

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 02:34:58PM -0500, Mike Leone said:
> > This is mostly because I usually install Debian, though, and they never
> > install to /usr/local, /opt, or anywhere else oddball.  So no need to
>
> Well, they could. if you apt-get source, don't they put the source in
> whatever directory you are currently in? ISTR it being that way. So if I
> only apt-get source while in those directories, then that's where they'll
> end up.
>
> Or was it /usr/src?
>
> Or I'm totally misremembering. :-)
>
> > make room elsewhere.  Libranet is a mostly Debian distro, right?  I'm
> > not sure how close they stick to it, though.
>
> Libranet is Debian, yes.

When you apt-get source foo, it downloads the source and .diff and
whatnot to the PWD, but if you then build and isntall the .deb, it
installs normally under /usr or /usr/bin or wherever.  I usually just
apt-get source in $HOME so I don't have to worry about room elsewhere.

  |Stephen Gran                  | You won't skid if you stay in a rut.   --   |
  |steve@lobefin.net             | Frank Hubbard                               |
  |http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                             |