Kevin Brosius on Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:30:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Playing with Fire?

Tobias DiPasquale wrote:

> > I know, you are all saying just compile and install your own. I've tried
> > this - and when I get one thing working, something else breaks (like sound
> > or networking). I prefer not to spend hours and hours on this - so I'm
> > looking for a short-cut.
>
> Yeah, but in this case, there really is none. The RedHat kernel is built
> on and relies on RedHat's specially-tuned gcc, and may possibly export
> certain RedHat-specific symbols that the Mandrake kernel may not have.
> It's a gamble to install that kernel; it would be better to do without
> for the length of time it takes you to figure out how to configure your
> kernel correctly to work with all of your peripherals. The short-cut
> would probably cause more work than the optimum solution.

There's always the option of using the Mandrake kernel config to try and
compile the RH8 kernel sources.  You'd need a source tree from both
distro's. Then grab .config out of the Mandrake kernel root directory,
put it in the RH8 kernel root directory (saving the previous version),
and do a 'make oldconfig'.  It'll prompt you for differences, then you
need to start the build as usual.  The real question is what RH has
changed on the distributed RH8 kernel that might fix/break items for
your setup.  And how many of those are also in Mandrake.

--
Kevin Brosius