Philip McGraw on Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:10:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Mutt is haywire

I also use mutt.  In fact, I have been using a 1.5.x build of it
from CVS sources (for smime support, etc).

Although certainly I'm no expert in these matters, I would tend
to start diagnosing the problem by looking at the .so
dependencies (ldd `which mutt`) and maybe forcibly re-installing
the packages supplying those .so's.  Besides ld-linux.so.2 and
libc.so.6, libncurses.so.5 is the only other .so on which my mutt
directly depends.  Indirectly, mine also loads ISO8859-1.so and
CP1252.so, but if those were corrupted it seems like you would
have bigger problems running other programs too.

If reinstalling ncurses doesn't help, you might try using
something like:

strace mutt 2>mutt.strace.out

and then look at the mutt.strace.out file to see if it becomes
obvious what config file or .so got scrambled, perhaps by your
fsck.

HTH,
Philip