Walt Mankowski on Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:50:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Mutt is haywire

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 02:51:40PM -0500, Philip McGraw wrote:
> I also use mutt.  In fact, I have been using a 1.5.x build of it
> from CVS sources (for smime support, etc).
>
> Although certainly I'm no expert in these matters, I would tend
> to start diagnosing the problem by looking at the .so
> dependencies (ldd `which mutt`) and maybe forcibly re-installing
> the packages supplying those .so's.  Besides ld-linux.so.2 and
> libc.so.6, libncurses.so.5 is the only other .so on which my mutt
> directly depends.  Indirectly, mine also loads ISO8859-1.so and
> CP1252.so, but if those were corrupted it seems like you would
> have bigger problems running other programs too.
>
> If reinstalling ncurses doesn't help, you might try using
> something like:
>
> strace mutt 2>mutt.strace.out
>
> and then look at the mutt.strace.out file to see if it becomes
> obvious what config file or .so got scrambled, perhaps by your
> fsck.

Considering he can run mutt up to the point of launching the editor to
compose a message, I'd have to say it's highly unlikely that mutt
itself is hosed.  Likewise ncurses.

It's possible that emacs/vim/pico/whatever editor he's using got
hosed, but imho it's more like that DISPLAY is set incorrectly.

Can you launch your editor outside of mutt?

Walt