Michael Bevilacqua on Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:21:37 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Netraverse LUG Sponsorship Program

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 07:58:33PM -0500, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> It still requires fully licensed windows.

If you already owned a copy of a windows product that you might possibly
already be dual-booting on a 1GHz or faster machine, wouldn't it be nice
to get rid of the dual booting kludge? This depends a lot on the
application vs the limitations of the emulator, but from my experiences,
can be very valuable.

> I suppose it could be useful in some special cases, but I'd rather try
> to replace the windows programs with functionally equivalent Linux
> programs.

So far, I've seen it great for apps that prove to be unstable. When you
hose your Win32 environment in VMWare or Win4Lin, restarting the computer
is usually not a necessity. I've also found usage in situations where
the corporate network you work on doesn't allow SMB browsing through
Linux for control (whatever) reasons. This tends to give the
warm-and-fuzzies to those power hungry brain-washed corporate admins.

For seasoned Linux admin's replacing window apps with their GPL'd/GNU'd
equivalent isn't a problem. Its the remaining percentage that usually
have a tough time making the leap. I do agree with your point of view
that it shouldn't be a crutch at all, and that making habits like this
is sort of similar to using telnet out of habit where just because you
can get away with using it behind a firewall, but then wanting to type
`telnet remotehost` and getting yourself into trouble.

--
Regards,

Michael Bevilacqua

   ~