Tobias DiPasquale on Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:21:40 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Netraverse LUG Sponsorship Program

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 09:43, Michael Leone wrote:
> True. As is mine. But mine is a little rinky-dink personal site, that no
> one (including me :-) cares about. What percentage of big sites (or busy
> sites, or well known sites) run Apache? Amazon, Google, etc. Places that
> you wouldn't qualify as "hobbyist" or "light-duty".

Both of the sites you just mentioned, to start with. Along with HotMail,
Yahoo! and Terra Lycos, you have 5 of the top 10 sites on the Web
running Apache. (MSN runs IIS, and is only one of the top sites because
people are too lazy to change the default homepage in IE)

P.S. Yes, I know they said they switched to IIS at Hotmail. However,
after the DDoS outages in 2000 and 2001, they noted (correctly) that the
only boxes that didn't go down were the legacy Apache/BSD boxes, so they
decided to keep using Apache/BSD. It's all in the Halloween documents
somewhere...

--
<< Tobias DiPasquale >>
UNIX Software Engineer