W. Chris Shank on Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:21:42 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Netraverse LUG Sponsorship Program

For me? no. I really enjoy the Linux desktop environment, especially the
recent ones. I've had first hand experience using a Linux workstation in a
corp (windows) environment - and I think that Linux has never been more
ready or usable. One or two years ago - I would have agreed with you, but
not any more. In fact - I used both VMWare and Win4Lin in the corp
environment because I wanted a LInux desktop but couldn't integrate with
the rest of the business without the windows programs. Now I can. I think
Win4Lin and VMWare are excellent speciality apps for engineers and the
technically. I just don't see it as practical for average joe user.

BUt that's me. Now I need to think about my clients. Giving them a 2 OS
environment would be confusing. "Here you go Mr. User. You are all set
with this great handy-dandy Linux OS - but if you want to use your special
application, go into this Windows environment and use the tool there. -
What's that, why do you need to go into Linux then, if you have all the
same functions plus your special app in windows? Good question."

The way I see it, I have to give the user a complete Linux environment.
And if they have a special app they need - I'd rather they run in via Wine
or Crossover than in a virtual windows environment.

NetRaverse seems to be pushing their product to LUGs so that they will
help the conversion from Windows to Linux. But I don't believe it. I think
netraverse is in a bind. The 2 OS environment is a tough sell for regular
users. Power users would probably get more utility and flexibility out of
VMWare - and the new CrossOver tools are widdling away many of the reasons
to use Win4Lin. I think netreverse loses if people transision to linux.
They are better off keeping people in a hybrid environment. I think a
hybrid environment is bad for desktop linux. so I think that netreverse is
just trying to sell software to the technical people who they think are
likely to buy it.

Chris

Chris