eric@lucii.org on Mon, 23 Dec 2002 16:41:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Netraverse LUG Sponsorship Program

Chris:

I don't want to encourage you (or anyone else for that
matter) to "trash" nola.  Nor do I want to "trash" it
myself.   I, too, wanted to work with PHP/MySQL and actually
was solicited to write some code for Noguska (Nola's
benefactor company).   I was just never able to get nola to
work properly and wondered if you (or anybody else) had
encountered (or more accurately, solved) the problems I ran
into.

As for SQL-Ledger;  I must admit that I have almost zero
accounting knowledge and therefore feel unqualified to
evaluate it in that light.  I am bothered that it does not
have payroll except that a large number of companies are
outsourcing the payroll because of the difficulties related
to the excessive rules and regulations.

I found SQL-Ledger to be quite easy to install and set up.
Since I'm accounting illiterate I just had to "play" with
it.  It seemed to work flawlessly.  I'd like to see project
drop-downs in some of the forms that referenced projects
since it could not process the form if the project name was
not found or misspelled.

I've be working with an aquaintence that has a fairly large
number of clients that all bought a DOS based accounting
package from him in the past.  He's impressed with Linux (I
showed him Mitel SME Server - formerly e-smith) and we're
going to review SQL-Ledger as a replacement for some of
those old accounting software installations.  He's got a
degree from Wharton so HE'S qualified to comment on the
accounting side of it.  I'll let you know what he thinks.

Eric