Chris Beggy on Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:30:33 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Netraverse LUG Sponsorship Program

"eric@lucii.org" <eric@lucii.org> writes:

> I, too, was looking at accounting packages.  I'd narrowed
> the list to SQL-Ledger and Nola.  It turns out that Nola
> is a pain to install (IMHO).  They want you to compile
> Apache, PHP, and mySQL to make sure the "right" pieces they
> rely on are there and working.  I could never get all the
> dependencies correct so it never worked.  If I'd
> been willing to spend a couple of days I could have conquered
> it but SQL-Ledger was so much easier that I simply forgot
> about Nola.
>
> What was your experience with Nola?

I'd rather talk about sql-ledger and how to make it even better,
rather than trash nola, which may have improved since I evaluated
it in November-December 2001 and January 2002.

I will say that I *wanted* to use nola (php and mysql) more than
sql-ledger (perl and postgresql) or Appgen Mybooks (java) since I
prefer php and mysql.  In spite of my bias, I had to go with
sql-ledger.

So I'll bounce it back to you.

What are your experiences, good and bad, with sql-ledger?  Does
the lack of payroll bother you?  Do you have a workaround?

Chris