Paul on Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:25:17 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Netraverse LUG Sponsorship Program

A former employer of mine /talked/ about moving anyone who depends on a database off of PC-based applications and onto the big Oracle system under the control of real developers. Makes sense mostly. The Oracle system has DBAs, developers, administrators, and *backups*. On the down side people would have to depend on another group of people to find the time to make their databases. Still, I'd feel more comfortable if an important lump of data wasn't dependant on some regular employee using Access, for example.

At least with MySQL or PostgreSQL the database is on a server which should be maintained be a real administrator.

W. Chris Shank wrote:

Depending on the size of the Corp and the utility of the Acess DB, that
company has tied themselves to MS. Typically, Access isn't just used as a
fancy spreadsheet. It has forms and queries and reports. I would recommend
to the client that they migrate this app off Access, maybe as part of
their linux migration. Now, if a company was committed to getting off MS,
they may seriously consider this. Or if the Access DB was used at a
departmental level and there was a corporate decree to go to linux (yeah
right) then maybe win4Lin would be plausible. But I would see that as a
temporary solution. If there was such a decree and I was a manager - I
would request a budget to migrate the Access app.