Mike Leone on Mon, 16 Dec 2002 23:31:26 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Netraverse LUG Sponsorship Program

Tobias DiPasquale (toby@cbcg.net) had this to say on 12/16/02 at 12:33:
> On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 11:57, Michael Leone wrote:
> > Or if you need to access an Access database, which is your company standard?
> >
> > (and don't tell me how Access sucks, and (m|my)SQL could do it better;
> > that's almost never an option, not for your average user)
>
> While this may be somewhat of a truism at some places, no one should
> ever use Access for anything. It's a half-assed attempt at a database
> and should be replaced with a real RDBMS as soon as is humanly possible.
> The "average user" can get a web interface with the database and you no
> longer have to worry about paying MS license fees.

The average user almost *never* has a say in switching from one
database format to another, and so web interfaces are a non-issue. And not
everyone likes web interfaces; you'd be surprised. I was. :-)

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348