Kevin Brosius on Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:47:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Netraverse LUG Sponsorship Program

"Arthur S. Alexion" wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 10:59, Kevin Brosius wrote:
>
> > How about spreadsheets?  What do you consider comparable to Excel?
>
> Linux does spreadsheets very well.  There is nothing I have had to do in
> a spreadsheet that I couldn't do in gnumeric, OpenOffice Calc or Corel
> QuattroPro.
>
> And are there any copies of Lotus Improv around?  Developed for
> NextStep, it is one of the nicest spreadsheets I ever used on any
> platform.

Yeah... I was kind of fishing with that question, as I recently switched
to OpenOffice myself from Excel at home.  I find it usable, but not as
polished as Excel.  It's certainly functional, just missing some little
things that I've grown used to over the years.

The one that comes to mind is position saving in a spreadsheet.  Excel
defaults to reloading a spreadsheet at the location you last saved it.
This is handy for long or wide spreadsheets where you tend to work in
one location based on time of the year.  (For example, with a financial
spreadsheet that covers an entire calendar year.)  OpenOffice seems to
always load and start at the first cell in the spreadsheet.

There's a few of those little differences that I notice.  Certainly
doesn't make it unusable, just a little harder if you've been using
Excel for 10 years or so.

--
Kevin Brosius