Greg Lopp on Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:55:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] installing linux virtually

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 12:51, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:

> Greetings
> 	Im wondering if anyone has every had the experience trying to install a dist
> without the installer.  My scenario is i have a large 60gb disk with about 10
> partitions.  Ideally I would like to install a different linux dist to each
> partition for packaging.  Currently I reboot and install the dist using the
> install cds, the only problem with this is Rh and MDK installer try their
> hardest to take over the system and niavely assume that their install and
> windows are the only two dists there.  Google got me about 100 how-tos for
> installing linux dists via the installer, but none for installing without the
> compiler.
Have you looked at linuxfromscratch.org?  I know that that isn't what
you are trying to do, but their "book" might give you some pointers on
the minumum requirements for a working, functional, bootable install.
i.e. Perform the basics and then install the various packages from
install cds rather than tar.gz

> 	Does anyone know of any scripts or ways to glean enough information to do a
> chroot /blah rpm -ivh <rpmlist> ? on a particular partition?
I thought rpm already had a command that basically said, "perform this
operation as if <param> is the root of the fs".