Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 30 Dec 2002 07:21:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] spamassassin

On Sat, 2002-12-28 at 10:36, Mike Leone wrote:
> Walt Mankowski (waltman@pobox.com) had this to say on 12/28/02 at 01:44:
> > On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 09:14:32PM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > > No, but it's getting there.  That's why, for now, I am diverting spam to
> > > a folder rather than deleting it right away.  I figure that if mail gets
> > > accidentally bounced, I can write to the sender when I empty the spam
> > > folder, and straighten it out.  That would be much easier than manually
> > > bouncing all of the true spam.
> >
> > Sounds great, until you automatically bounce that legitimate, though
> > spam-appearing, email from, say, a potential employer or a conference
> > you want to attend... :-)
> >
> > When I tried out spamassassin I discovered that certain mailing lists
> > had a large number of false positives.  For example. on technical
> > discussion lists (such as this) people often post messages with
> > subjects in all caps because it happens to be the name of some piece
> > of hardware they're trying to get work.  If you start bouncing that
> > sort of mail, you'll find you're suddenly getting unsubcribed from
> > these lists because the mailing list software thinks your email
> > address is bouncing.
>
> Yeah, that was a noticeable problem in version 2.20. There have been 3
> releases since, tho, and I almost never get mailing list posts inadvertently
> marked as spam (or any others). It does sometimes miss new spams, which is
> to be expected, since spammers change their spam all the time, in a
> deliberate effort to avoid triggering spam-catching rules.

And, besides, that's what the whitelists are for.  Some days, I keep
~/.spamassassin/user_prefs open in an editor so that I can update the
blacklists and whitelists to fine tune the set up for my personal needs.
--
Arthur S. Alexion <arthur@alexion.com>
Arthur S. Alexion LLC