Tobias DiPasquale on Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:24:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Verizon Business DSL

On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 12:02, M. Jackson Wilkinson wrote:
> So when I get this modem from them, what should I expect?  Ethernet
> output, or USB or something?  Will the service run on PPPoE even though
> it's a static-IP based service?

No, you will get an Ethernet DSL router with a non-SSL web interface for
administering it. Probably a 4-porter. That's what we got.

> Are DynamicDNS services sufficiently good these days that I wasted $50
> over the discounted home rate by opting for the business plan?

Not really. Not if you want to get all your mail, although they are fine
for websites (HTTP).

> Essentially, will I have to take advantage of their 30-day guarantee?

Probably. I have noticed that sometimes the router forgets it's IP
address for no apparent reason, and has to be hard reset to make it work
again. But I believe that to be a problem with the router and not the
service, so as long as you don't get something with "Diva" in the name,
you probably will do better on that front. Also, it's been down quite a
bit, in a year's time (double-digit number of occassions). The most
extreme outage lasted over 13 hours. We actually had to drive out to our
provider twice to get new equipment before they figured out it was their
problem. They are a subcontractor for Verizon (Voicenet). You'll most
likely end up switching to something else.

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036