William H. Magill on Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:58:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Verizon Business DSL

On Monday, December 30, 2002, at 12:02 PM, M. Jackson Wilkinson wrote:
So DirectTV decided that the DSL division was going to shut down as it wasn't profitable enough, and I was faced with the task of finding a new home for my machine whose services I've found I'd have trouble living without. After some research, it seemed like the only gig in town after DTV fell would be Verizon (Warrington, Bucks County... everyone around me gets great coverage from Covad and such, but not the 215-491 exchange).

In theory, anyplace you can get Verizon, you can get DCAnet, since they can and do use Verizon to provide the DSL link in many locations.

So when I get this modem from them, what should I expect? Ethernet output, or USB or something? Will the service run on PPPoE even though it's a static-IP based service?

Unless Verizon has changed radically lately, you get a Westel DSL modem which has an Ethernet connection. I think mine took about 3 or 4 days to arrive, UPS as I recall. It comes with a bag full of dongels (bypass filters aka splitters) for your phones. You can request a house splitter (it mounts in the demark box) but that takes some smooth talking because most of the people in order entry have no idea what you are asking for. (or at least they didn't use to.) It's usually easier to get support to sell you one.

With DCAnet, you get static IPs and you never have to deal with PPPoE. You're a Peer on the Internet - IP all the way. But you may have screwed yourself by claiming that you are running XP. I don't believe that they support anything BUT PPPoE with XP.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com