Gregson Helledy on Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:21:04 -0500

[PLUG] Re: SAMBA weirdness

LeRoy,
I've had the same problem trying to print from Win98 machines to a
linux machine on my network.
Is it a problem if the Windows machines have null passwords?  Every
time they boot, we get a username/password prompt.  The username is
already there; we just tap <enter> and we're in.

We can access (read/write) shared directories on the linux machine
without problems.
However, we're unable to access the printer (though we can "see" it
in Network Neighborhood.)  Print jobs just vanish.  The printer does
work from the linux machine (i.e. something like "ls > lp0" prints
fine).

Greg

Are you running lprng on the SAMBA box? =20
On the Windows side you have to log in and use the password for the user
to be able to use the Samba services.  Also did you sync the Samba
password file with /etc/passwd?

I noticed that windows can ``see'' the printer even though the user is not
logged on.  So a print job would be sent then trashed.

Attached to this message is a copy of my SAMBA config file.

Have a good day,

LeRoy

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 11:28:18PM -0500, Beldon Dominello wrote:
> I have an interesting problem with SAMBA on my Suse 8.1 box.  I'm running=
 the=20
> standard SuSE package and I can hook into it via my Windows 98 box, as we=
l as=20
> use the shared directory on my SAMBA box.
>=20
> The problem seems to be the printer.  I can see the printer, install it, =
and=20
> send print jobs to it, but they just seem to go nowhere.  All indications=
 are=20
> that the SAMBA server received the job, but no output can be found anywhe=
re=20
> on the target printer (Epson Stylus Photo 820, USB, and yes it works loca=
lly=20
> on the SuSE box).
>=20
> Any insights?  Thanx!
>=20
> 	-Beldon
>=20
> --=20
> "I couldn't remember when I had been so disappointed.  Except perhaps
> the time I found out that M&Ms really *do* melt in your hand ..."
> 		-- Peter Oakley
>=20
>=20

--=20
Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <

gpg fingerprint:  AE0E 9F8F AC3B 7E3D A0EA  72AC FBB2 78BB 2E64 0404

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:=20

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2001/12/08 09:44:19

# Global parameters
[global]
	client code page = 437
	workgroup = CRESSY
	netbios name = PATCHES-PLACE
	server string = %h server (Samba %v)
	encrypt passwords = true
	allow trusted domains = No
	min passwd length = 6
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	username map = /etc/samba/user-name
	password level = 6
	username level = 8
	log level = 3
	deadtime = 15
	socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096
	total print jobs = 50
	wins proxy = Yes
	wins support = Yes
	invalid users = root
	hosts allow = 192.168.1.
	printing = lprng

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /tmp
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[e310]
	comment = Lexmark Optra E310
	path = /tmp
	read only = No
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	printer name = e310
	oplocks = No

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO--

--1ccMZA6j1vT5UqiK

--1ccMZA6j1vT5UqiK--

End of plug Digest

--
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
and notify GRA, Inc. (gramail@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise