Stephen Gran on Thu, 09 Jan 2003 20:21:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Time & date sync'ing between systems

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 06:58:32PM -0500, eric@lucii.org said:
> Whoa!  I wanted to do this for months (my Linux server clock drifts)
> but did not know how.  The ntp documentation was completly confusing
> and did not do what I wanted.
>
> I grabbed the rdate rpm, installed it on my systems, set the cron and
> viola' - it works.  Nice.  Very nice.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Eric

There was actually just a long thread on debian-user about this, called
'ntpdate from CRON - DON'T DO THAT!!!' or something along those lines.
The gist of it was that cron jobs all hammer the time servers at the
same time, so there is a much greater chance to create DoS's
accidentally.

The recommendation was to use something designed for the job, like ntpd
or chrony, which make the adjustments at mostly random times, reducing
the odds of an accidental DoS, and also have mechanisms to notice and
adjust for (local) clock drift, making the network adjustments less
necessary over time.  If you're having problems with ntpd, let me know -
I just set it up on a couple of boxes here, and it's very nice.  DCA.net
also runs a timeserver, which makes life easy (^:

All of this advice is second hand - I have never run a time server open
to the 'net, and I have no idea how easy it would be to hammer one into
submission.  It makes sense to treat a free service with some gentleness
and respect, however.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | BOFH excuse #17:  fat electrons in the  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | lines                                   |