Tom on Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:24:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Component Level

The full part number is 2SK2983.  The "2S" is a prefix used on japanese
transistors.  It has a similar meaning to the prefixes "1N" (1 semiconductor
junction i.e. diode) and "2N" (2 semiconductor junctions i.e. bipolar
transistor) used on US mil-spec parts.  The third "pin" on the transistor is
the metal back off the package.  From what you described and the literature I
found I think the package is a TO-262 or TO-263.

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 07:23, Paul wrote:
> Alllll right!  The "Q4" suggested that it was a transistor, but it only
> uses two pins.  What's the "2S" for?  I'll grab a new transistor from
> Active Electronics and try it.  That is, if it isn't to expensive.  Even
> if the CPU might be fried it's worth a try as an experiment.  The CPU
> did get pretty warm when the power supply would start.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Tom wrote:
> >As far as I can tell its a 2SK2983 MOSFET transistor.  It should be on the
> >output of the dc/dc converter supplying the CPU.  	That fact that its
> > charred probably means the cpu is toast.
<snip>