Samantha S. Ollinger on Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:26:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] "Friends don't let friends use Dell"

This has helped me in the past: Knoppix.
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Knoppix has always found a nice resolution, and configured X for me. I
just copy Knoppix's xf86config file onto the mounted hd's partition,
reboot and it all magically works.

Samantha

 On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 07:25:49PM -0500, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> > X does work in 640x480 but nothing higher.  The redhat-config-XFree86
> > tool quits trying to work after trying a few times to start XFree and
> > failing.
>
> I know this doesn't matter much at this point, since your Rawhide X
> should work fine, but:
>
> Does RH ship xf86cfg?
>
> Also, does X -configure probe to anything higher than 640x480? Even
> in VESA modes?
>
> > But if this doesn't work tomorrow, I'm disabling onboard video (if Dell
> > gives me the option...) and slapping in a trusty old S3 PCI card or
> > whatever crusty old thing I find in the storage room at the office.
>
> If it's anything like the old Optiplex I've got, slapping in a video
> card will disable the on-board video for you (as slapping in a SCSI
> card will disable the on-board IDE, both of which are ever so
> logical because, you know, if I've paid for an extra peripheral, I
> clearly don't want the one I got with the damn machine).
>
> --
> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net

-Samantha