Michael C. Toren on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:42:37 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Another Perl question

[ xpost cc: snipped ]

> Okay-- having resolved that we need the Expect Perl Module, I have another
> question.  Is it possible to install new Perl modules without having a C
> compiler installed as given in the manual?

It depends on the module you'll be installing -- if it was written
entirely in perl, then no, you won't need a C compiler.  A cursory
examination of the Expect-1.15.tar.gz tarball seems to indicate that
this is the case with the Expect module.

> FYI, this is actually Perl 5.00503 on Solaris 8.

If your system doesn't have a compiler, why not download a copy of
gcc packaged for Solaris8 from sunfreeware.com?

-mct