Beldon Dominello on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:01:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Another Perl question

On Monday 10 February 2003 16:42, Michael C. Toren wrote:
> [ xpost cc: snipped ]
>
> > Okay-- having resolved that we need the Expect Perl Module, I have
> > another question.  Is it possible to install new Perl modules without
> > having a C compiler installed as given in the manual?
>
> It depends on the module you'll be installing -- if it was written
> entirely in perl, then no, you won't need a C compiler.  A cursory
> examination of the Expect-1.15.tar.gz tarball seems to indicate that
> this is the case with the Expect module.

Then how do I install it?  Putting the .pm file in the Perl directory doesn't
seem to do it.  and the CPAN module wants a C compiler.

> > FYI, this is actually Perl 5.00503 on Solaris 8.
>
> If your system doesn't have a compiler, why not download a copy of
> gcc packaged for Solaris8 from sunfreeware.com?

Because corporate policy forbids putting compilers on servers.  Please don't
tell them about the numerous UDB servers whih all have compilers as part of
the DBMS!

To give you some insight-- my company just last week published a position
letter stating that open-source and freeware could now officially be
considered along with proprietary software solutions-- as long as the same
criteria are met.  Not the fastest company in Coporate America.

Anyway-- as a last resort, I've suggested adding gcc just long enough to do
the install, the removing it.

	-Beldon

--
To err is human, to forgive is Not Company Policy.