Michael C. Toren on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:32:00 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Another Perl question

> > It depends on the module you'll be installing -- if it was written
> > entirely in perl, then no, you won't need a C compiler.  A cursory
> > examination of the Expect-1.15.tar.gz tarball seems to indicate that
> > this is the case with the Expect module.
>
> Then how do I install it?

First, what are you trying to install?  Expect-1.15.tar.gz?  It doesn't
contain any C code, so I don't know why you'd need a C compiler.  The
README file indicates that it depends on IO::Tty, which does appear to
contain C code, and would require a compiler.  Perhaps that's what you're
attempting to install?  It's difficult to tell with the information you've
provided.

> Putting the .pm file in the Perl directory doesn't seem to do it.

It's always best to use the Makefile provided by the module.  Unless you're
sure you know what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend copying *.pm files
around by hand.

-mct