Walt Mankowski on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:21:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Another Perl question

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 05:53:06PM -0500, Beldon Dominello wrote:
> Then how do I install it?  Putting the .pm file in the Perl
> directory doesn't seem to do it.  and the CPAN module wants a C
> compiler.

You don't need CPAN.pm to install modules.  It's just a fairly simple
shell that automates the process of downloading and building modules.
It's entirely possible to install Perl modules manually.  Just follow
the following steps:

1. Download the module from CPAN (http://search.cpan.org is a nice
   shell).

2. Unpack the tarball into a temp directory

At this point your module should almost certainly have a README file
that will tell you what to do from here.  In most cases it's just:

3. perl Makefile.PL

4. make

5. make test

6. make install

Look in perlfaq8 ("perldoc perlfaq8") for more information, in
particular the questions "How do I install a module from CPAN?" and
"How do I keep my own module/library directory?"

BTW, why did you decide to use Expect.pm when the consensus on the
list was that SSH authentication was a better solution?

Walt