Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:49:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

> At 3:47 PM -0500 2/7/03, christophe barbe wrote:
> >I fail to see what would take more times to be done under linux than
> >under Mac OS-X. Perhaps an example to illustrate would help.
>
> 	802.11/wireless support is my favorite example.
>
> 	On Mac OS X, you put the card into the slot and "it just works".

In some cases. I have had printers stop working after I suggested an
upgrade to Jaguar to one customer. I'm still upset about this. I'm sure
that she is, too.

> 	On Linux, you have to deal (possibly) with older kernels that
> have to be updated/recompiled, devices, etc.

Possibly. Most package managers will install a newer kernel, though.
Since I know what I'm doing w/ this regard it's probably easier for me than
most.

However, the one thing that I hated about Jaguar is that I couldn't roll
back to a stable state. There is no downgrade in OS X (if there is, please
tell me and maybe I could fix this situation). In linux, I can keep as
many kernels as possible so at least my old stuff will continue working.

There are good things to be said about OS X, but personally, I hate it.
My limited experience has been through helping a customer who was
suffering greatly from alpha problems that were never worked out. The
answer to most problems wound up shelling out more money.

Her husband thought that she'd be happier in windows. I agree. If she had
to use OS classic, I probably wouldn't have even had the job b/c she
wouldn't have any problems. I suggest sticking with 8.6 for mac clients
and running *BSD for the server.

> 	Another good/related example is switching from static to
> dynamic IP addressing - such as when you go from work to home (or
> vice versa).  On Mac OS X, you just plug in and it works - you don't
> have to do ANYTHING.   On Linux, it's a MAJOR pain.

All my boxes at home save for my server are dhcp, but they get served the
same ip address from my server each time. If I had a laptop, this wouldn't
be a problem.

There is only one config file to change and I don't find it to be that
hard, but if I wanted to, I could easily write a gui frontend to it. I
thought about copying some of mac OS X's guis such as the one that
restarts apache, but I'm the only one who does these types of things, you
probably realize how I feel about waiting for a gui. :)

Fred