William H. Magill on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:20:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 04:48 PM, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
However, the one thing that I hated about Jaguar is that I couldn't roll
back to a stable state. There is no downgrade in OS X (if there is, please
tell me and maybe I could fix this situation). In linux, I can keep as
many kernels as possible so at least my old stuff will continue working.

That changed in Jaguar (or maybe it was 10.1.5) there IS an un-install feature on the install disk. It's in the pull-down, (along with a terminal window for standalone repairs.) However, I can't tell you how well it works, or what is required to make it work. It may only work if you have done a "clean install" -- which effectively renames / and creates a new one... but you need twice as much free space then.

Usually, it is EXTREMELY painful to roll back ANY OS upgrade. Much easier to reload the backup you made before the upgrade. If all you upgrade is the Kernel, then that too is easy to roll-back in Jaguar, but ONLY upgrading the kernel rarely accomplishes anything other than providing for new and different hardware configurations. Once you start changing system libraries to match the kernel, you get in to the areas of pain. And, I realize that in Apple's packaged Jaguar distribution, you don't get "just the kernel, you get a whole system.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com