gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:58:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 07:01:53PM -0500, christophe barbe wrote:
> Put a wireless card NOT airport in an apple laptop under OS-X and you
> would have different results. GNU/Linux and others Free OS supports a
> lot more of hardware than what Apple has to support.

If you're going to run around using GNU/Linux rather than just
Linux, you could at least do Apple, who took the time to copyright
their operating system's name, the courtesy of spelling it right,
Christophe. :^>

As to supporting third-party wireless cards, Christophe couldn't be
more right. You can't even stick a PC card wireless ethernet adapter
using EXACTLY the same chipset as Apple ships in a Mac and expect it to
work. It might, but it probably won't.

> > >I have more experience with Mac OS-X server than with Mac OS-X and I can
> > (No -'s here).
> I didn't get that?

He's chiding you for the same spelling mistake that I am.

> Again, I don't say that Mac OS-X is not good. It's a lot better than
> Windows. It's better than Linux for some apps (emphasis on some). What I
> don't understand is the visible switch from linux to OS-X. Hopefully I
> believe that these 'switch's were mostly driven by a novelty effect and
> what I see seems to indicate the same (I see more and more TiBook and
> iBook linux users these days).

The "switch" that you're seeing, and this is pure speculation, is
a group that switched from MS Windows to GNU/Linux because MS
Windows had become unbearably difficult to deal with, unbearably
expensive, unbearably insulting to the intelligence of the user
(yes, I really mean that), or otherwise ubearable. Those folks
weren't using GNU/Linux because it supported their freedoms, they
were using it because they needed a computer that worked more often
than it didn't. For them, a shiny new Mac running Mac OS X works
more often than ia32 hardware running a community-supported OS. As
I said, just speculation.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net