christophe barbe on Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:51:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 08:57:07PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> If you're going to run around using GNU/Linux rather than just
> Linux, you could at least do Apple, who took the time to copyright
> their operating system's name, the courtesy of spelling it right,
> Christophe. :^>

I finally got it.

> The "switch" that you're seeing, and this is pure speculation, is
> a group that switched from MS Windows to GNU/Linux because MS
> Windows had become unbearably difficult to deal with, unbearably
> expensive, unbearably insulting to the intelligence of the user
> (yes, I really mean that), or otherwise ubearable. Those folks
> weren't using GNU/Linux because it supported their freedoms, they
> were using it because they needed a computer that worked more often
> than it didn't. For them, a shiny new Mac running Mac OS X works
> more often than ia32 hardware running a community-supported OS. As

I would like to believe that you are right but I noticed this switch at
the last gnome summit at Boston and this is not exactly a place where
you expect to see the kind of users you described. But again my feeling
if that this phenomena is over.

Christophe

People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life.
--Faith Resnick