W. Chris Shank on Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:03:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 08:57:07PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>> If you're going to run around using GNU/Linux rather than just
>> Linux, you could at least do Apple, who took the time to copyright
>> their operating system's name, the courtesy of spelling it right,
>> Christophe. :^>
>
> I finally got it.
>
>> The "switch" that you're seeing, and this is pure speculation, is a
>> group that switched from MS Windows to GNU/Linux because MS
>> Windows had become unbearably difficult to deal with, unbearably
>> expensive, unbearably insulting to the intelligence of the user
>> (yes, I really mean that), or otherwise ubearable. Those folks
>> weren't using GNU/Linux because it supported their freedoms, they were
>> using it because they needed a computer that worked more often than it
>> didn't. For them, a shiny new Mac running Mac OS X works more often
>> than ia32 hardware running a community-supported OS. As

I feel a little insulted by that. But I guess a shiny mac that works (and
works closer to how I like to work) is better for me than a x86 that runs
a collection of half-working software, at least when the half that didn't
work was the half that I needed. The other half (that worked) worked great
and I have no complaints.