gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:13:12 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 08:02:07AM -0700, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> I feel a little insulted by that.

You shouldn't. :^>

> But I guess a shiny mac that works (and works closer to how I
> like to work) is better for me than a x86 that runs a collection
> of half-working software, at least when the half that didn't work
> was the half that I needed. The other half (that worked) worked
> great and I have no complaints.

... and even people who are power users, coders, and systems
administrators need to be able to be just compute *users* without
too much pain.

It's all well and good that I know how to rebuild my kernel to
support a specific ethernet card, that I know how to fiddle around
and track down the exact hardware or software cause of a kernel hang
under NetBSD (it's sort of hardware; corrupted file system). It's
fine for me to do that when I feel like tinkering with my computer.

But when I need to get something that's NOT tinkering with that
computer done, I don't want to be twiddling my thumbs waiting for
a kernel build of NetBSD-current to fail because I did my cvs
checkout between a commit that broke something and one that fixed
it. So though I've got some machines running NetBSD-current, even my
primary DNS, my mail server's still runing NetBSD 1.5.3 and my
laptop 1.6, because I need these things to just work more often than
I want to be able to play with them.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net