christophe barbe on Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:55:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:44:25PM -0500, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> >Put a wireless card NOT airport in an apple laptop under OS-X and you
> >would have different results. GNU/Linux and others Free OS supports a
> >lot more of hardware than what Apple has to support.
>
> Like a Cisco Aironet or an Orinoco card?  Cisco has drivers available
> for download, and IIRC, the Orinoco works with the Airport driver.  Or

If you have to download a driver the 'it just works' is no more true. I
know a lot of Mac OS X (n -) users who have no idea how to download and/or
install a driver and this is this kind of user that want the 'it just
works' stuff.

The airport cards are modified Orinoco card.

> how about a Prism2.x card?  http://wirelessdriver.sf.net/
>
> Apple DOES have less hardware to support, but using WLAN cards isn't a
> good example.

I still believe that's a good example but if you have better examples
they are welcome.

Christophe

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
   Albert Einstein, On Science