gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:30:32 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT: Defualt Sun partitions

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 01:14:55PM -0500, Edward M. Corrado wrote:
> So, Sun is not making (at least in this case) a /export/home partation as
> some thought for users or a /space as others suggested. One would think
> that /export/spare would be the default place for home directories by
> looking ar a "df -k" but it is (as one might suspect from the "ls
> -l" above in /home. Personally, I think it is not a good idea for a
> machine with any users to have user accounts on the root partition (bad
> Sun).

Umm... did you actually try a mkdir in /home? (Hint: not even root
is permitted to.) What does useradd -D say about the default base
directory?

By default, autofs controls /home and it's presumed that you'll be
populating /etc/auto_home as a flat file or through an NIS+ map and
pointing home directories at a remote system (like, say, a NAS).

Granted, automountd may not have been running on that system because
it probably didn't start because /etc/auto_home was probably empty,
but Sun definitely does NOT intend for you to be making home
directories on /. They don't intend for you to be making them at
all, except in the rare case that you're setting up the NFS server.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net