Edward M. Corrado on Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:43:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT: Defualt Sun partitions

Sorry I didn't respond to this sonner, but I've had the flu and haven't
been checking my e-mail.

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 01:14:55PM -0500, Edward M. Corrado wrote:
> > So, Sun is not making (at least in this case) a /export/home partation as
> > some thought for users or a /space as others suggested. One would think
> > that /export/spare would be the default place for home directories by
> > looking ar a "df -k" but it is (as one might suspect from the "ls
> > -l" above in /home. Personally, I think it is not a good idea for a
> > machine with any users to have user accounts on the root partition (bad
> > Sun).
>
> Umm... did you actually try a mkdir in /home? (Hint: not even root
> is permitted to.)

Not until just now :-)

Hmmm..... You are correct. Odd. I guess it is supposed to just be a
mount point? That makes a bit of sense, but is also strange since if it is
trying to put users there, you'd think they would have a partition to mount
there by default? OK, I see from what is below what is going on with
automount. I wonder when they changed this? My other Solaris 8 machines
aren't set up this way (including ones that were not upgrades from
previous versions of Solaris), but I have always did my own install and
not used "out of the box" Solaris and may have overridden these defaults
without realizing this.

For those who are wondering this is what I get when I try a mkdir (BTW, I
have done no configuration on this machine yet - it is straight out of
the box).

# cd /home
# mkdir test
mkdir: Failed to make directory "test"; Operation not applicable
#

> What does useradd -D say about the default base
> directory?

# useradd -D
group=other,1  project=,3  basedir=/home
skel=/etc/skel  shell=/bin/sh  inactive=0
expire=  auths=  profiles=  roles=
#

So it is trying for /home, but I by default I don't have anything but
(what looks like an apparent) [auto]mount point?

> > By default, autofs controls /home and it's presumed that you'll be
> populating /etc/auto_home as a flat file or through an NIS+ map and
> pointing home directories at a remote system (like, say, a NAS).
>
> Granted, automountd may not have been running on that system because
> it probably didn't start because /etc/auto_home was probably empty,

/etc/auto_home is basically empty.

# more /etc/auto_home
# Home directory map for automounter
#
+auto_home
#

automountd is running by default - it is just not configured to automount
anything :-)

# ps -aef | grep automountd
    root   179     1  0 09:46:32 ?        0:00 /usr/lib/autofs/automountd

> but Sun definitely does NOT intend for you to be making home
> directories on /.

I take my bad Sun comment back. Good Sun.

> They don't intend for you to be making them at
> all, except in the rare case that you're setting up the NFS server.

I don't care what they intend, I need users to have a home directory -
and luckily with *NIX I can do what they don't intend :-). Actually, I
probably will keep it like this for a while just to see how it works. I
just will need to look into this auto_home thing a little more. Maybe I'll
use it and make the home directory NFS from a different Solaris box -
which from what I think you are saying is the intended way?

> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net

Ed C.