Arthur S. Alexion on Sat, 15 Feb 2003 20:49:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] how to lose your rights and freedom...

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 18:28, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 01:57:39PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> > And you wouldn't have conveniently lost your keys?
>
> And be brought up for perjury and contempt of court too? No, thanks;
> not when I can turn state's witness and get a lesser term for
> handing over my key. (In point of fact, if I were actually doing
> anything that needed to be hidden from the federal government by way
> of encryption, I'd be putting some failsafes in, using distributed,
> off-shore datawarehousing, and killswitches that activated at the
> first sign of tampering, so that there wouldn't BE any way to
> subpoena the data.)

Remember the guy in North Jersey a couple of years ago, who was the son
of one of the Phila. mobsters currently confined to a federally owned
housing project, who was hiding betting data using PGP.  It was
suggested that he was caught using some keystroke recording program that
the FBI installed on his computer when they got permission to sneak into
his home.  It all happened before 9/11/2001.  The government refused to
reveal how they got his key saying the method was a national security
secret.  His attorney at the time, tongue in cheek, asked if the
government thought Osama bin Laden was taking bets in North Jersey.

Well he was convicted of the underlying crimes, but not an additional
crime of using encryption to make catching him harder.

Sorry, I remember the details but not the names.
--
Arthur S. Alexion <arthur@alexion.com>
Arthur S. Alexion LLC