Arthur S. Alexion on Sat, 15 Feb 2003 23:18:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] how to lose your rights and freedom...

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 14:14, eric@lucii.org wrote:

> NOT to start a flame war here but I find it AMAZING that the Supreme
> Court can find the right to privacy for abortion but not for
> recreational drug use, encryption, or a host of other "private"
> activities.  Wow.   I've been told that the reason there is so little
> mention of privacy in the constitutions (state or federal) is because
> the founders had no idea what a surveillance state is like.  In 1776, if
> you wanted to have a private conversation, you walked out of the house
> and into the fields... 5 minutes or less and you'd be out earshot!

The Supreme Court that sat in 1973 is far removed from the one that sits
in 2003.  Those were men (no women yet) appointed by Harry Truman
(Douglas), Dwight Eisenhower (Warren), Jack Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, and
yes, Richard Nixon.  The men and women appointed for life to decide our
fate today were appointed by Gerry Ford, Ronald Regan (Scalia), George
H.W. Bush (Thomas) and Clinton.  By the way, the guys that Nixon
appointed removed themselves from benefiting their patron during the
Watergate decisions involving the tapes.  The ones appointed by Poppy
Bush did not see fit to do the same when the election was at stake for
his son.  We are living in very different times, and one party seems to
be in control of all three branches of government.  So much for checks
and balances.
--
Arthur S. Alexion <arthur@alexion.com>
Arthur S. Alexion LLC