John Beck on Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:30:32 -0500

[PLUG] GPG keys (revocation and regeneration)

Hi all,

I am just back to joining the group after about a 2 year hiatus. When last I participated, I was just about gaining a entry level working knowledge of Linux, so I am not too far along.

The reason for my post is this:

When I last attended meetings, I participated in some keysignings with PLUG. I generated my key per the instructions, sent it Darxus, so on and so forth. (I think that I am one of the people inthe inactive.gpg file). Now, I am back trying to use linux again, and would like to start using my key. Problem is, I no longer have the any of the information or the public / private key relating to my email address (jbeck@jbwd.net). When I created the key, I am not sure if I generated a revocation certificate or not...

So, aside from the shear stupidity of not saving anything, I now would like to correct it. My questions are:

a) How can I try and figure out if I can revoke my original key? What happens if I can't?

b) Can I generate a new key using the same email address as before?

Any input is appreciated, but please be as verbose as possible as I am still trying to regain some of that entry level knowledge!