Flint Heart on Tue, 04 Mar 2003 11:30:32 -0500

Re: [PLUG] WEF email

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:12:45AM -0500, William H. Magill wrote:
> HIPPA will change all that once the lawsuits begin to flow... starting
> about 15 April. (The first phase of the HIPPA regs kick in on 14 April,
> and the lawyers already smell "class action" dollars flowing into their
> pockets.)

You'd be amazed at how poor the security of you personal information is
currently with allot of the health care system.  HIPPA has changed a bunch
of things but several of the methods that have gotten approval for being
complient (encryption wise) are a joke.  Someone with pen and paper and a
some cryptography knowledge could undo the "encryption" that some companies
are using.  I'm currently working for a company that does pharmacy systems
and I have to keep my eyes open for components from other parties that can
get us in trouble... $25k a violation could hurt.  Presently I'd like to
get into another job before the lawsuits and bureaucratic nightmares start.
When politician start trying to regulate and enforce technical issues only
bad can come out of it(unless an intelligent polition is involved, and thats
pretty rare)  How some of these "approved" methods can get approved by
anyone with half a brain is amazing...

</rant>

N-Tropy