Kevin Brosius on Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:34:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Home Networking Question

Michael Leone wrote:

> Craig Brennan said:
> >
> > You actually want that weak signal outside the house.  I worked at a
> > tech school that taught networking and programming that had a wireless
> > network and a crappy administrator who basically set the range on the
> > NAP's to the maximum.  Anybody w/ a wireless card could pull up to w/i 1
> > mile of the school and get free net access and hog bandwidth.
>
> Ah, so he/she was just being community-oriented and generously shared the
> bandwidth. Very socialable of them. The true spirit of Linux ...
>
> :-)

Along that line...  How can I get the maximum range out of a wireless
access point and how far is that?  I'm interested in omnidirectional
signal strength, rather than single line solutions.

With Speakeasy, the TOS allow sharing, and I've been considering
dropping my neighbors a note so they can save some dollars on internet
access...

--
Kevin Brosius