Paul on Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:20:19 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Power Supply Needed: suggestions?

M.Simons wrote:

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, Paul wrote:

You might as well replace the power supply . Then, you could still buy a new PC and have two.

Well, my system is currently severly unstable, and I chalk it up to a
suspected motherboard problem, as much as it might be nice to keep it in
service, I am not so set on that. I am also planning on moving
compontents to the new system when I finally do that... otherwise, I would
need to buy a lot more.

Are, or were, all the fans turning? Heat can cause interesting problems. Maybe the mo'bo' is the real problem?

Do *not* buy a PowMax power supply.

Why not? Right now, I have been surfing pricewatch, and that seems to be a
very popular (well, cheap at least) brand. My last one was a DEER, and it
didn't last too long. (I'm not sure how long..)

Let's see. I bought three cases (about $40 each) containing PowMax power supplies (PS). One PS didn't last one minute. I replaced it with another PowMax (about $20 found through PriceWatch) and it to has a problem. So, the failure rate is 50%! I tried e-mailing Tech Support, but their e-mail address is not valid! I carbon copied Sales, but they just ignored my message. That puts PowMax off on my list of favorites.

My brother-in-law bought a generic power supply from CompUSA and it works fine. From what I've read, weight is a sign of quality due to the

I don't think I'll be weighing them, or for that matter would be too good of a comparison judge on my own. I am looking at CompUSA's site and a seemingly generic 400 watt power supply is $60, whereas I can find a Powermax 400 watt in jersey, on pricewatch for $20.

$60 is a little high for a generic PS. (You'll have to pay tax if you buy from a company in state.)

What ARE premium brands? I don't know.

They have been mentioned.  PC Power and Cooling, Sparkle, etc..