Bob Schwier on Sun, 23 Mar 2003 13:55:28 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Power Supply Needed: suggestions?

Burning out two power supplies seems unusual.
Check the electrical wiring.  See what condition it is in and what is on
that line.  My work station is on a 12 gauge line.  Standard household
wiring is frequently only 14 gauge which only carries 15 amps.  This means
essentially adding up every device that is in series with your computer.
This is for copper wire, aluminum would be about two amps less.
Also, I don't know if you live in one of the areas of the city that is
inflected with rolling brown outs.  I am and PECO seems to use my area to
protect Center City.
Also check the wire nuts at the boxes in the basement.  These are a bitch
to get on and in an old house they can be loosened so as to give
intermitent service by the same forces that cause those houses to creek at
night.
I had a spare but I had to replace a dying powersupply that chose an
interesting way to croak.  It did not actually die and each voltage check
out on a multimeter.  The affliction seemed to be the keyboard bios
because keystrokes and mouse deployments would show up wrong on the
screen
I also miss replaceable fuses in electronic gear.  Such might have saved
you a lot of grief..
bs