Paul on Sun, 23 Mar 2003 12:45:13 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Power Supply Needed: suggestions?

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

ExtremeTech says:

Power Supply: Some of our favorite cases from Antec and Enermax
include name-brand power supplys. If not, get a good one, because
generic power supplies can often be the cause of strange glitches
and crashes. Also make sure it supports the newer motherboard power
connections called ATX12V.

Until recently, generic cases with generic power supplies have served me well. In the past, the power switch or fan would wear out before the supply went bad, if it ever went bad. Power supplies are "not built like they used to be." There are nice generic cases avilable, but the option of buying the case without a power supply, allowing the buyer to choose a particular supply, is becoming more attractive. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend any more than $40 total on a typical supply.

As for new standards, they aren't as important if you're sure the supply with be kept with the older equipment that it is meant for. If the PC is older and you're not overly attacked to it, give a cheap power supply a try.