gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 22 Mar 2003 19:37:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Power Supply Needed: suggestions?

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 12:20:37PM -0800, M.Simons wrote:
> Well, my power supply just blew.  :(

What makes you sure it's dead?

> The first was a 250W, this was a 300W, ATX.  Should I go bigger? I think
> it's lack of qualty rather than lack of power, but I will probably step
> up.
>
> Does anybody have any extras? :D or suggestions on where to get a
> half-decent one inexpensively?  Good brands? brands to avoid?

Quality case manufacturers typically also manufacture (or rebrand,
probably) a decent-quality power supply. Also, I have never[1] had an
Apple power supply fail (and have only heard of it in power surge
circumstances), so you might find out what they OEM and buy that
brand (can't use exactly the same device since the cabling to the
motherboard is different).

> I am contomplating getting a case & power supply (I currently have a mid
> tower, I think a full tower or something would be in order.) ...

Don't skimp on the case. Cheap ATX cases mean perhaps low-quality
power supplies, now that you mention it, and are definitely not
"ergonomic" to operate inside of.

[1] I've owned and own seven or eight Apple computers, running back
to the IIgs, plus an Apple Newton. So my experience here is far
wider and longer than with IA32 power supplies.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net