Michael F. Robbins on Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:57:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Weirdest Linux Encounter In...

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 12:39, Jeff 'Jephree' Mealo wrote:
> Weirdest thing happened today :: pinches self :: while using a standard set of
> CD walkman type headphones both XMMS and Noatun played my MP3s (I checked
> voice removal was ***not*** enabled) with get thislittle or NO voice and the
> background was fine in some songs fuzzy in others.  My soundcard doesn't
> support non-amplified sound but it makes no sense that the minimize/maximize
> noises still sounded *absolutely* fine, unlike the background of the MP3s
> which were sometimes distorted.

Try another set of headphones?  Does it have to do with stereo/mono
sounds?

For some situations and certain songs, the "voice removal" effect could
be achieved with a miswired set of headphones.  I remember reading that
some music tracks have voice in the "center" (equally divided between
left and right) and that this is the principle on which most voice
removal works.  If your headphones were connected in such a way that
only the left and right wires were connected (not ground), you might
just amplify the music, not voice.  Check that the plug is all of the
way in.  (This could also be a problem at the plug/socket, I imagine.)

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com