Edmund Goppelt on Mon, 5 May 2003 21:50:29 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Help with Lawsuit

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 02:59:05PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 02:29:10PM -0400, Edmund Goppelt wrote:
> > According to the contract with the
> > vendor, the BRT's web site runs on SQL2000 and Windows 2000 Server
> > ASP, not DB2.
>
> Just occured to me that I made my comment about the data being on
> tape because the city's lawyer said it wasn't on disk but "stored in
> the city's mainframe" (or something like that).
>
> If it's actualy in a SQL Server DB, was the laywer lying outright or
> just confused?

My impression is that she knows nothing about computers.  This would
make it very easy for her client, the BRT, to mislead her were they so
inclined.

In my recently settled case against the Records Dept., the senior
lawyer in charge of the case brought in a young lawyer who knew
computers to assist him.  The two of them spent a couple of weeks
researching the Dept.'s fees for computer records--$400 for 4 MB of
info--and then cut them by 90%

I think the City lawyer in this case--Mimi Choksi--should do the same.

--

Ed Goppelt
http://www.hallwatch.org